Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sarah Will Not Stop Believing


To get some background on me, there's two things you should know:  In high school I was a cheerleader, and I have some mad ADD.

My senior year I decided I wanted some semblance of a normal life.  So I quit cheers and threw out my medication.  However, without cheerleading, I was left without any real, daily exercise.  And without Ritalin, I was left with an appetite for the first time in four years.  You do the math.

The next year I was faced with my first year of college and the notorious Freshman "oh my gawd when did these pants shrink?" 15.  I had a hard time meeting friends and spent the better half of my first semester alone in my dorm room, eating tortillas and butter because my ankle was broken and I couldn't get to the dining hall or grocery store.

Excuses, excuses.  They've all led me here, to a place where I've decided there's simply too much of Sarah.  I know I'm great and all, but this is too much of a good thing.

So what to do?  Recently I've taken up running.  I have a love/hate relationship with it.  I hate to run.  Pure and simple.  I have shin splints, my knees hurt, my lungs resist every step of the way, and I am incapable of running in a straight line.  But I love the endorphins that come after 3 miles.  And I love what running is teaching me.  Like I said last week, I've never been one to set goals for myself and actually achieve them.  But with running I'm all of the sudden telling myself "don't stop believing Sarah, you can get to three miles without stopping.  Don't stop believing!"  I actually doing it too!  (And yes it's true, my running mantra is inspired by a Journey song.  If you know me, that shouldn't surprise you.)

Exercising, losing weight, avoiding all things trans-fat-ilicious has been a bumpy and inconsistent road so far.  Every time I get close to realizing a short term goal I've set for myself, somebody mentions root beer floats and cheese fries and I'm all in and back to the drawing board.

So I need you to keep me accountable, kids.   And remember: Don't Stop Believing




PS- If and when I can fit back into that cheer uniform, you'd better believe I'll post pictures.  Maybe even a video.  If that's not motivation to keep me accountable, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shake the dust off that keyboard and type us something pretty.