Monday, May 17, 2010

Sarah and the Art of Patience


When I approached Jackie with the idea for this blog I thought it was going to be oh so much fun.  I'd be checking off items and feeling so self-actualized in the process.  I wrote out a list of challenging but important goals that would guide my life, and perfect little plan, into a higher plane of being-- it was going to be awesome.

Well, as it turns out, this shit is hard.  It's constant self-reflection and pushing yourself to accomplish something when there's hours and hours of crappy movies on Netflix yet to be watched; and oh how they beckon.  Oh, and apparently life doesn't always follow that perfect little plan you outlined in your journal three months ago; or at least mine didn't.

Just be patient and don't worry.  This has become my mantra.

I'm currently unemployed which may make going to Haiti in December tricky.  I really wanted to spend the whole month there, but that entirely depends upon my future employers.  The current goal is to find a job that can accommodate an extended trip.  I still feel like this is where I'm supposed to be heading so I'm trying to believe that something *perfect* will pop up.

Also, here's a bit of news: I'm not going back to school in the fall.  It's a very long story and I'm sure some of you are shaking your heads right now.  Well, ye of little faith, first of all you look silly shaking your head at a computer screen.  Second of all, I will be going back to school, but I need to find a school and program that I feel will set me up for a successful future.  CU Denver wasn't doing that for me.  If anyone knows anything about creative writing programs around the country–or simply where you think I should direct my life–your input in the comment section is very much appreciated.

Here's a run down of my goals, where they've been and where I'm going with them:

1.  Weight Loss:  Hahahahaha.  I mean... I lost my gym membership so I'm doing the best I can.  Sort of.  That dress will fit in July though, dammit.

2.  Straight A's: So, since I won't be going back to school in August, this goal is the first to fall by the way-side.  But there had to be at least one  I failed at, right?

3.  Incorporate Artist's Dates:  I'm unemployed, every minute of my day is an artist date.

4.  Finish a writing project: This summer, it's on.  You and me, Emily Dickinson.  Prepare to be bffs.

5.  Get something published: Let's work on finishing something first.

6.  Get out of the city, state, country: I'm going to Gunnison tomorrow for a very exciting reason which I may or may not expand on next week.  Stop shaking your head, seriously, you look dumb.

7.  Read through Austen: So close to being done with Sense and Sensibility.  After that I'm taking a short break to read something more modern and then it'll be back to Pride and Prejudice; Mr. Darcy, it's been too long.

8.  Discover 10 new things about Denver: I went to my FIRST first friday a few weeks ago.  I know, I've grown up in Colorado and lived in Denver for three years and I'm just now going; it's a travesty that I'm glad has been rectified.  Any suggestions on what I should do or see this summer?

9.  Make our Apartment our home: Dad, if you're reading this, we have stuff to hang on the walls.  Please bring your muscles and your tools to help.  Thanks.  Also, if you're reading this, I'm sorry I cursed earlier.

10.  Art from Ashes internship: I emailed the group and received an email back saying I should sit tight and hopefully will have more detail soon... whatever that means.

11.  Learn Creole/French: Seriously, where do I begin to do this?  Rosetta Stone?  Do they teach Creole?

12.  Crafts!: Hopefully there will be some brand new, hand made throw pillows down stairs soon.

So there ya go.  Not a whole lot of headway, but my life has been shifting a lot.  Now that I'm a bit more adjusted I'm excited to really start focusing on these goals this summer.  Thanks for sticking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shake the dust off that keyboard and type us something pretty.