Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jackie - Spring Shakedown

[Lilac photo in honor of the lilac bushes in our yard that are covered in slushy snow. 
I tried to shake it off, but couldn't reach all the branches.]

The last few weeks [and including the next few days] have been completely filled with trying to end my semester well. All of this work [coupled with my knack for procrastination] make me question [again] the difference between being busy and being productive. I hope I can think about that more over the summer and try to figure out if it's possible to balance school and work in a way that isn't so draining.

Here's my evaluation of where I'm at and where I should go next.

Goal 1:: Teach: Hopefully I'll have more to say on this next week.

Goal 2:: Write songs: I'm excited to try my hand at this. I've been letting my mind mull over some song ideas the past few months and I'm excited about what might come out. I feel like I might actually be good at this, I just don't quite know where to start the whole process. Those of who you are my songwriter friends, don't be surprised if I start asking for advice the next few weeks. [I should also add with this, that I'm terrified of failing. I'm doing my best to dive into this head-first and give it my 100%, but I'm constantly fighting this little voice that says I'll never be good at it.]

Goal 3:: Reconnect: This goal is going well. In March, I [re]connected with a newer friend. In April, I reconnected with my cousin, Kolten. I'm still looking for someone to reconnect with this month and have a few leads.

Goal 4:: Engage globally: I haven't approached this goal yet and I'm still not positive what this is going to look like.

Goal 5:: Take 2 of 4 trips: I'm excited to say, that I just might be able to take all 4! I've been scouring ticket prices and I'm going to try and make it happen. So far, I've gone to Tennessee to see Joe and Leah. I have plans to go to New York City in November. I'm working on getting my sister to pick some dates for us to go to Portland. And I'm hoping to get down to Dallas this summer -- though I should add that Brett and Sarah were here this week which will help hold me over for a few more months.

Goal 6:: Redefine spirituality: I need to get together with Alyssa to get my questions in order and I need to complete my list of people I intend to ask said questions. I hope to get things together by the end of May.

Goal 7:: Define me: See post from 31 March 10.

Goal 8:: Be frugal: I'm down to $2,392.14 in credit card debt! I still owe a $1,000 medical bill and I'm in the process of paying back my Dad for helping me get my brakes fixed a few months ago, but I'm slowly catching up. When I look at the fact that I've paid off over $2,800 in the last few months, it makes all the working extra and saving pennies seem worth it. [Hopefully Lisa is proud that the budget she helped me create is working.]

Goal 9:: Clean my box: This one makes me laugh. Not only do I have a box of junk, but a pile of papers on my dresser and another stack on the floor. It's going to be a process.

Goal 10:: Post photos: I'm excited to get to this one! Hopefully I'll have at least one album to share in the next few weeks.

That's the recap on where I'm headed this summer. I hope it's a fun ride.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shake the dust off that keyboard and type us something pretty.