Monday, May 24, 2010

Jackie - Great Expectations


I read once about the economics of happiness. It turns out that the lower someone's expectations, the happier they are in the end... and that also works in reverse. I found that very interesting, and still do. Especially as I had big expectations for this summer. In fact, this week I was planning to post a special list of extra goals to accomplish this summer. I decided that after 4 really hard semesters, I was going to get back on normal eating and exercise schedules and get my life organized. I decided I wanted to be effective person; one of those people who gets done what they say they will, has time to invest in others... someone whose schedule is actually a reflection of their priorities. I'm not saying none of that will happen, but some situations have changed.

Ah, change. I have a love-hate relationship with change. I enjoy all things new and adventurous and I love taking risks. But I have an exceptional case of cognitive conservatism. [I read about that once too, all it really means is -- a resistance to change.] So when change comes, half of me is so excited I can hardly stand it, and the other side is so adverse I can hardly stand it. And in the beginning, the second side usually wins. Then once my brain has time to adjust, I can jump in with both feet.

That formula works great when the change comes in a relatively cut and dry package. The problem this time is that only half of the changes are happening now and I won't even be sure if rest of the changes will be happening until August. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed about the timing of everything since I had such high expectations for this summer.

This is vague, I realize, but it's complicated. I promise to fill you in as soon as I can.

In the meantime, I have an immediate need: a roommate. Mine is moving out and I'd really like to stay where I'm at if possible. If you know of anyone interested in living in the Congress Park area, please let me know as soon as possible. I need to figure this out by the end of the week! Yikes!

I promise to have worked on some of my goals by next week!

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shake the dust off that keyboard and type us something pretty.