Friday, September 10, 2010

Let's Take Some Creative Control, Genevieve




I've been at my current job for almost a year now, which is crazy to write. I started everything with no clue on how long I wanted to stay or what I was going to gain from it. I only had the idea that this would be a great starting point and ultimately a stepping stone in my music business career. But 11 months later and with about 200 shows under my belt, I'm just now starting to realize my potential.

The first few months of a job, obviously, is a learning curve of trying to understand the process thoroughly and proving yourself to your new surroundings. It took me a good six months to have everything down to the point that I could do it with my eyes closed. And then the summer hit with in-house shows, a summer concert series at the Botanic Gardens and music festivals galore. It was full of 15 hour days, lots of lifting and crazy artists. But I must say it was a great learning experience and I've confirmed the fact that I never want to be in the production side of the industry full time. A bit of it here and there will suffice.

Now we've hit the lull of fall and I am finally beginning to catch my breath. I'm discovering some creative aspects to my job that I never had the chance to before and am loving it. As I stated for goal #1 under my career goals, "I want to be an irreplaceable asset for my company, not a commodity. And ultimately learn deeper facets of the industry." I've been learning that I need to not only be in charge of events and organizing them, but creating them and running with the marketing side of my brain as well. I'm booking a new series of shows in our cafe and feel inspired to present artists that I'm passionate about and that I know the Denver music scene needs to hear more of. I am making something of my own and taking responsibility for it. It's all so refreshing. There were so many times within the past year that I almost threw in the towel, but I'm glad I didn't. I think this is where I was supposed to end up. I have this assurance I'm heading towards exciting new horizons.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, lady. I'm so happy that you're digging your nails into it... You're gonna be one of those people one day that people you've never even met before refer to you as "Genevieve," and if someone doesn't know the name, everyone else looks at them like they're from Mars. :D Janessa

    ReplyDelete

Shake the dust off that keyboard and type us something pretty.