Friday, September 10, 2010

Jackie - Mexican Monday


Mexican Monday was something Sarah and I instituted when we first started living together. It was our own play on Taco Tuesday... except on Monday. I think we only celebrated Mexican Monday once [maybe twice], so I thought I'd bring it back for another hurrah.

And not only that, but I actually worked on a goal at the same time. Shocking, I know.

Last Monday, I went and had some Mexican food with Paul. I think I've known Paul as long as I have been alive. Or, at least as long as he's been alive since I'm a little bit older. We grew up in the same church so I saw him on the weekend and at major functions and our parents played softball together. Sometime around high school we drifted apart. Then one crazy day as I was serving dinner at the Denver Rescue Mission with some of my girls, it happened that Paul was among the other group we were paired with to volunteer for the night. So we started keeping in loose touch and got together one other time about a year ago.

It's at this part of the story where I am a little bit embarrassed. I'm pretty sure Paul contacted me about hanging out again sometime during the spring -- that's before summer, back before all the trees had bloomed. And if it wasn't for the fact that he kept emailing me and texting me even when I didn't respond, I'm not sure it ever would have happened. Turns out, I pretty much stink at making plans to get together with people. =/ I'm glad Paul and I know each other well enough that he felt comfortable pestering me over and over again.

Dinner was really fun. We caught up on life and such, but it wasn't one of those awkward conversations where I'm running down a mental checklist of all the things we should make sure to talk about. It was very relaxed; relaxed in a way that only happens when two people have known each other for their entire lives. We caught up on life - school plans, living situations and how the fam is doing. We talked a little bit about religion while we walked to a nearby park, discussing the likes and dislikes. And parted ways.

It was nice spending time with someone who's known me through my awkward phases. It felt like a little bit of home.

Here's to actually accomplishing something, goal #3:: reconnect and chips and salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shake the dust off that keyboard and type us something pretty.