Sunday, November 28, 2010
You're in 'the middle', Genevieve
Sarah and I were discussing this a few weeks back and I distinctly remember her saying, that us as a generation are so used to instant gratification that sometimes we forget how to actually fight for what we dream to be. It's so true. You want the fame, the success, the relief of having a finished product in front of you, but the work that it takes to get there, in reality, is daunting.
One of my favorite entrepreneurs once said, "If something comes easily and without sacrifice, it's rarely significant."
So here's to being caught in 'the middle' as Sarah phrased it. It's not at all glamorous, but it's necessary to get to where we all aspire to be.
Here are some updates on my goals... since everything doesn't make itself in a day...
1. Submitting a piece to Relevant Magazine: To be honest, I had kind of forgotten about this one and then suddenly became pretty inspired to write a few weeks back. What developed was an article on the power of forgiveness. I just submitted this a few nights back and am waiting to hear back. I won't be crushed if it doesn't make it on to their online magazine. And if it doesn't, I'll still post it on here to gain feedback and maybe aspire towards another article or CD review.
2. Being a good owner to Mr. Keith Moon: I've started dog training with him over the past few months, and let's just say, it hasn't been easy. We're on to group classes and I'm sort of nervous, because he's definitely got an aggression problem.
3. Going to Australia: I'm half way there as far as money saved!
1. Being heartfelt and genuine in my role as a worship leader: We have an all night of worship with my church coming at the end of January. I'm excited to be in on the planning of it and participating in such a great experience.
2. Participating in more community service events and creating a bigger presence of giving in my life: I've started going to a Bible study every Tuesday night with my church and am loving it! The great thing about this group is that we make it a point to help in our community once a month. This month we're going to help with a Christmas party for Save Our Youth and have fun with under privileged kids:)
1. Playing/performing more: My wonderful friend, Ms. Leslie Brown, is having her CD release in January. I'm jumping on board as one of her back up singers and am loving this opportunity:)
2. Recording an EP: I finished 5 songs and am finalizing everything creatively in that realm.
1. Pushing myself at my current job: I've been taking on more responsibility, am booking more shows, learning about budgets and have put in a proposal for them to pay my way to go to SXSW. Cross your fingers for this one!
1. Making Hear Us Loud happen: I'm currently in the process of registering everything as a sole proprietorship and getting design ideas finalized in order to print in three weeks:)